San José de Chiquitos
Founded in 1697, San José de Chiquitos was declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1990. This is the only Jesuit mission in Chiquitania Province built in stone, now famous because of its concerts of baroque music.
San José is also known as the cradle of Santa Cruz, as this town was founded here in 1561 by Ñuflo de Chavez before being transferred to its present location in 1590. The historical site of Santa Cruz la Vieja is its silent witness.
But San José de Chiquitos is also known for the Mirador site and the Valley of the Moon, as well as Mount Turubo.